Save time and stress with these 15 tips from TV3’s ‘The Block NZ’
1. Glue a paper plate that is 5–8cms wider than the paint can to the bottom of the can to catch the drips.
2. To cover up scratches on furniture or dents/marks on floor boards, combine instant coffee and a little water and rub it into the nicks and scratches. Once dry, apply a layer of furniture or shoe polish.
3. A sprinkle of talcum powder on the hinges or in between floorboards will quieten squeaks
4. Add four tablespoons of methylated spirits into the paint can to keep it fresh.
5. Tie one end of some dental floss around a dripping tap and the other end of the floss down the drain to quieten the dripping tap.
6. Threading a needle can be simpler by squirting the thread with hairspray to make it stiff.
7. Remove old paint stains by softening with linseed oil or use a razor blade and scrape off.
8. Apply double-sided tape under rugs to stop them from slipping.
9. Dipping scissors in boiling water makes it easier to cut through delicate fabrics.
10. Adding two teaspoons of vanilla essence to 1.5L of paint will help curb the paint smell.
11. Wrap paint brushes tightly in plastic cling film and they will stay moist — even overnight.
12. If you tease a thread free from material, and then pull it completely out from the cotton, it will create a straight line that you can follow to cut.
13. Before tightening a screw into place, put a few drops of clear nail polish into the hole to secure the screw
14. Remove dents in unvarnished wood by dampening the area with a small amount of water then cover with brown paper and apply a hot iron for a short period. The heat evaporates the water, while the steam expands the squashed wood fibres back to their original level.
15. Baby oil will remove paint from your skin.