Chinese buyers preferences for real estate revealed
Chinese buyers tend to like New Zealand for its peaceful and laid back and transparent environment according to James Chan from Bayleys real estate.
• Street numbers matter: 2, 3, 8 and 9 are good(no's 13 and 14 are not good)
• Preference for buildings on elevated sites
• A pillar or fixed obstacle inside the front door is not seen as a good thing.
• Prefer much newer buildings
• Often avoid brick buildings due to earthquake risk
• Might take a lower return with the offset of capital appreciation over longer term.
• Prefer national or international tenant for long-term security
They're buying for the long-term future. A lot of them are looking for 10 or 15 years or more. They're not looking at the return, in fact they may take a lower return.
Chinese like saving and they perceive property is good for that. They might not be able to use the money for themselves but they're investing for the younger generation.