Weather tightness: problems and solutions

Thinking of building and want to minimise the risk of weather tightness issues?

Here are some factors as described by the government to consider that minimise the risk of a new home being affected by weather tightness

Wind zone — buildings in areas that are subject to strong winds are at risk of rain being driven behind the cladding.

Number of storeys — the higher the building, the greater the catchment area for rain and exposure to wind.

Roof/wall intersection design — buildings with complex roofs intersecting with walls create opportunities for leaks to penetrate into the walls.

Eaves width — increasing the width of eaves provides additional shelter to the walls from rain.

Deck design — certain deck and balustrade designs are less risky than others. For example, timber open-slatted decks at ground-floor level are less risky than enclosed or sealed decks at second-floor level.

For more, see:
; and,

 Already own a home that has weather tighness issues?

If you have bought a home and it has weather tightness issues and you intend to repair and re-clad the home, you could expect to vacate the home (depending on the scope of the area affected) for about 10–12 weeks from start of the repair to finish.

Before you proceed with the repair, under the terms set out in the financial assistance package (FAP), you share the agreed actual repair cost of repairing your home with the government and your local council (if it approved the original work and is participating in the FAP).

The government and council each pay 25% of the repair cost and you pay the remaining 50%. However, if your council didn’t sign off on the building work, or has chosen not to participate in the FAP, you will need to agree to pay 75% of the costs to get payments under the scheme.

The team from Weather Tight Solutions take us through the process of a re-clad:

Scaffolding is first erected around the entire house and tarpaulins or shrink wrap used to keep the house watertight.

The old cladding is removed and disposed of.

A timber certifier/independent consultant will come and assess the framing timber marking all the timber that is to be replaced.

Then, if you are using the existing windows, they are removed and fitted with new timber jambs to fit the new cavity system, and all new rubber glass and corner seals.

Repairs are then done and a timber preservative is painted on all existing framework and then wrapped in building paper.

New cavity baton and flashings are installed.

Windows are fitted with all new weather tight flashings & seals.

The new cladding is installed.

On completion of the job Weather Tight Solutions will arrange for council to issue you with a CCC (Code Compliance Certificate).

When it comes to building safety, maintenance and compliance, seek the advice of qualified professionals as they will best be able to provide the advice you need with regard to your own personal situation.

Shannon Corbett