Posts tagged Building Consent
What You Need to Know When Building a New Home or Undertaking Any Major Renovations

Step 1 - Obtain a PIM (Project information memorandum)
This is a report about a building proposal on a specific site. It will also tell you if your project is affected by any council bylaws, any special features of the land, such as erosion or the presence of hazardous materials, the details of any stormwater or wastewater systems relating to or near the site, and whether you will need to pay a development contribution.
A PIM will be issued within 20 working days and councils will charge a fee for this service.

Step 2 - Plan and budget
How much are you intending to spend on this project? Research designers and architects and obtain quotes for the project from 3 different contractors who's previous work you liked the look/style of. You can advertise your job on the NZ institute of Architecture or ADNZ approved architects here

Step 3 - Obtain a building consent
This takes approximately 20 working days and is obtained via the council or your architect or builder if you prefer
The BCA will inspect the site and work frequently up until completion/final sign off. You have 2 years to complete the work from start to finish or you must re-apply for another consent!

Step 4 -
CCC (code of compliance certificate)
The CCC will be issued once the BCA is satisfied that the building work complies with the building code 2008 and does not extend beyond what has been approved and noted on your submission.

For more information on building a new home, here is a great site to visit.
Congratulations! Now you are ready and set to start planning and designing for your new home!

Work that requires a building consent

  • Structural building - additions, alterations, re-piling, demolition
  • Plumbing and drainage (except the repair and maintenance of existing components)
  • Relocating a building
  • Installing a woodburner or air-conditioning system
  • Retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres
  • Fences or walls higher than 2 metres, and all swimming pool fences
  • Swimming pools
  • Decks, platforms or bridges more than 1 metre above ground level
  • Sheds greater than 10 square metres in floor area
  • Some earthworks also require a building consent (check with your council)

Work that doesn't require a building consent

  • A patio or deck at ground level
  • Garden trellis less than 2 metres high
  • Installing kitchen cupboards
  • A small garden pond
  • Maintenance of your house, for example, replacing spouting or a piece of weatherboard
  • Building a small garden shed